Saturday, September 03, 2016

Pentecost 15, Year C, Proper 17 August 28, 2016

Sermon for The Fifteenth Sunday After Pentecost
Year C, Proper 17  ~  August 28, 2016

Holy Trinity & St. Anskar

…go and sit down at the lowest place…

+In the Name of God, the Holy and Undivided Trinity

For some reason, I found myself driving around the San Fernando Valley with an old friend, a priest who is a native. We passed a great big Roman Catholic Church – about the size of our Cathedral, beautifully ornate Byzantine/Romanesque pile, and we noticed that across the architrave, chiseled in massive letters was the single word: HUMILITAS.  We found this somehow ironic. And that is always the problem, isn’t it?  The chief cleric always enters at the end of the procession, because the last shall be first and vice-versa, but then the whole procession gets ordered according to rank so that the first are the lowest-ranking and so on. You can still always tell who is the most important!

Today’s observation about banquet-seating has a humorous tone, in my opinion. On the surface level of meaning, anyway. But possibly our Lord’s advice is not simply the suggestion of strategy for preferment at important peoples’ parties! Maybe it has to do with our own inner lives and the dangers of imagining that we are more advanced than we really are. For the awful paradox is that if we appear to ourselves to be making progress, we are probably not; while the more progress we actually make, the more lowly we appear to ourselves! Better to occupy the lowest place in our own estimation and possibly to be called up higher. The trick is to contemplate one’s own spiritual lowliness without undue worry or despair, relying entirely on God’s grace.

With that introduction to tie it to today’s Gospel, I want to read to you a passage from one of my favorite ancient fathers, Dorotheos of Gaza (late 6th Century). His writings also contain more than a little humor, mixed in with profound spiritual wisdom. Here is his advice about receiving unjust criticism, and turning it to one’s spiritual advantage…
[There you are sitting peacefully, minding your own business, and a brother comes up and makes a disparaging remark, and you get angry. Instead of thanking him for revealing to you yourown latent anger, you send it back to him.]

Dorotheos has a point, of course. No one can make me feel emotions. I have a choice to permit myself to be disturbed or not.  But what about unjust criticism or worse abuse? Well. I don’t think Dorotheos is advising us to be complete doormats. If the critical brother came every day to bully and abuse, it would be a matter for the Abbot.  On the other hand, if the accused brother is really on top of it, he can accept undeserved criticism dispassionately – however unfair – seeking to learn from it.  None of us is in a position to evaluate ourselves. The critical brother may be out of his tree, on the other hand, there may be more to the feedback than one would like to think.

In any case, such unpleasant experiences may give us a chance to take the lower place at the banquet, a difficult thing to do. And not for the obvious reason that it is unpleasant to let injustice go. There is also the problem of letting it go with self-conscious humility, which is not humility at all, but rather like the inscription on the church. It would probably be better to get mad and oppose the injustice openly than to pretend to humility that one doesn’t actually have. The last shall be first and the first last. But if I take the lower place in order to try to get the higher one, it is hardly humility. Maybe if I want to be really humble, I should take the higher place so that I will be humiliated! And on and on: the same old problem of infinite regress.

Anyway, I think the riddle is good to bear in mind when I think about my own inner, spiritual life. The side of me that is overly self-critical needs to be acknowledged, but not reacted against. I need to tell myself – OK, accuser-self (the translation of the word, satan, by the way!), you are probably right, and I will sit at the lowest place, because I am not very advanced. But hey! What the hell? God is my judge, no one else, not even you, that is not even myself!  I might be pleasantly surprised! Probably best not to count on it, but you never know. It seems to me that is nearer the mark of genuine humility – the kind that is not proclaimed in two-foot-high lettering, chiseled in stone.
 AMEN
 MARANATHA

COME, LORD JESUS!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?